Gauteng, JHB - Northern Suburbs
Senior C&I Engineer (Contract) for the Mining Division
- Responsible for the Instrument and Control System Engineering and Design functions in the Engineering Department.
- Interface with the Process Department for calculating and sizing of instrumentation equipment from the flow sheets and P&ID’s.
- Interface with the Electrical Department to align design and engineering requirements between Electrical and Instrument and Control System equipment.
- Uphold and maintain international engineering standards, codes and practices.
- Under the direction of the Manager Electrical and Instrumentation Engineering and/or Principal I & C System Engineer and/or Lead I & C System Engineer, prepare, review and coordinate instrumentation and control system calculations, documentation and drawings for company studies and/or projects.
- Ensure design engineering standards are maintained and adhered to on all projects.
- Provide technical design guidance to project staff on instrumentation & control system & designs.
- Instrument and Control System Engineering and Design.
- Compliance with latest International and local design standards, codes, statutory regulations and acts.
- Produce designs in accordance with project, discipline, good practice, company procedural requirements and meets Clients standards.
- Ensure all design standards are adhered to and maintained on all projects.
- Ensure serviceability, safety and operability of designs.
- Utilize project filing system (Sharepoint or other)
- Prepare, review, coordinate, check and approve instrumentation and control drawings and specifications, under the direction of the Manager Electrical and Instrumentation Engineering and/or Principal I&C System Engineer.
- Utilize and enhance instrumentation and control system design systems and processes and ensure their implementation within Instrumentation and Control System discipline.
- Ensure that the plant design is optimal in terms of control systems and networks.
- Attend and/or conduct regular design group meetings in the 3D environment.
- Review and update P&ID drawings with instrumentation and valve requirements
- Review and comment on documents and drawings from other disciplines.
- Review supplier documentation and drawings for compliance with project specifications.
- Review equipment & installation contractors’ proposals and produce technical adjudications / recommendations.
- Liaise with clients on engineering design issues, as required.
- Attend factory acceptance tests and provide input to supplier’s test documentation.
- Produce site inspections, functionality testing and commissioning documentation.
- Liaise with site staff on engineering design issues, as required.
- Assist with plant installation and commissioning.
- Respond to technical queries from projects, client and site.
- Prepare project close out reports with comparison of design and procurement budgets.
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Degree, BTech or National Higher Diploma in Electrical Engineering or Control Engineering
- ECSA registration as Professional Engineer or Professional Technologist Engineer (or working towards registration).
- A minimum of 5 years’ working experience in a project engineering environment, preferably within the resources/minerals processing industry in Africa.
- Site instrument engineer with plant installation and commissioning experience
- Willing and able to work in Mauritania
- QA/QC activities, contractor supervision
- Experience in managing relationships with clients, contractors and service providers.
- Excellent English language skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to communicate in a clear manner and express own ideas with confidence.
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team and to engage with multiple stakeholders and people at all organisational levels.
- Clear logical thinker, with the ability to make good decisions under pressure.
- Ability to prioritise multiple tasks and keep in balance multiple priorities/demands.
- Good attention to detail and ability to facilitate appropriate information sharing amongst project stakeholders.
- Ability to think outside the box to find the best solutions to problems.
- Good level of self-awareness, emotional maturity and resilience.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity.