Gauteng, JHB - Central
Market Related - Negotiable (Market related, Negotiable)
Our Client is looking for a SQL Data Engineer with AWS experience and knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Design, build and operationalize large scale enterprise data solutions and applications using one or more of AWS data and analytics services in combination with 3rd parties - Spark, EMR, DynamoDB, RedShift, Kinesis, Lambda, Glue, Snowflake.
- Analyze, re-architect and re-platform on-premise data warehouses to data platforms on AWS cloud using AWS or 3rd party services.
- Design and build production data pipelines from ingestion to consumption within a big data architecture, using Java, Python, Scala.
- Design and implement data engineering, ingestion and curation functions on AWS cloud using AWS native or custom programming.
- Perform detail assessments of current state data platforms and create an appropriate transition path to AWS cloud.
- Design, implement and support an analytical data infrastructure providing ad-hoc access to large datasets and computing power.
- Interface with other technology teams to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS big data technologies.
- Creation and support of real-time data pipelines built SQL and on AWS technologies including Glue, Redshift/Spectrum, Kinesis, EMR and Athena
- Continual research of the latest big data and visualization technologies to provide new capabilities and increase efficiency
- Working closely with team members to drive real-time model implementations for monitoring and alerting of risk systems.
- Collaborate with other tech teams to implement advanced analytics algorithms that exploit our rich datasets for statistical analysis, prediction, clustering and machine learning
- Help continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service support for customers
- Comfortable working with DevOps tools such as Git, Jenkins, CodeBuild, CodePipeline, CodeDeploy, GitLab pipelines, etc.
- At least 5 years experience as a data engineer.
- Strong knowledge of database structure systems and data mining. Excellent organizational and analytical abilities. Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or other relevant fields
- Has experience in any of the following AWS Athena and Glue Pyspark, EMR, DynamoDB, Redshift, Kinesis, Lambda, Snowflake
- Proficient in AWS Redshift, S3, Glue, Athena, DynamoDB, EMR
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing, and operations
- At least 5 years' experience as a data engineer.
- Experience in database design and database management.
- Experience in data analysis and business intelligence.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building/operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets
- Experience working with distributed systems as it pertains to data storage and computing
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, meta data, dependency and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected data sets.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable Big Data, data stores.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Experience in a Data Engineer or similar roles
- Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including Postgres and Cassandra.
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools:
- Experience with AWS cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift
- Experience with stream-processing systems:
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python.
- Experience in the implementation of data visualisation systems/technologies.
- Experience in querying and manipulating data in data virtualization and data warehousing systems.
- Experience in MS SQL, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Python, R, Redshift and especially PySpark