2-year fixed-term Contract Position
This position ensures robust manufacturing processes by providing technical support to multiple Reagent Manufacturing laboratories in the Manufacturing, Science, and Technology (MSAT) Cape Town facility. This skilled Engineer carries out product and production process investigations, assesses the specifications of equipment and new materials, and determines product and process requirements for Global Roche Sequencing Solutions. They will be accountable to oversee the installation, and commissioning of new systems products, and processes for Operations. This role is part of a highly-skilled MSAT team that is dedicated to providing excellence in manufacturing across all the Global Sequencing Operations manufacturing sites from California to South Africa.
Participates o and leads projects within the manufacturing areas. This engineer is responsible for successful project completion including necessary reports and approvals. Identifies and assists with implementing improvements around current manufacturing processes with guidance from the manager and senior engineers. Responsibilities also include equipment and process validations as well as process characterization and root cause investigations. Responsibilities
Quality Support specifics:
- Assess existing processes and equipment and identify and implement improvements.
- Implement new or transferred manufacturing processes in a timely manner.
- Lead and/or participate in equipment and process validations.
- Assist in troubleshooting of process and/or equipment issues.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- With guidance, able to prepare and present technical information and project summaries to peers and management. - Monitors work to ensure quality and to continuously promote Quality First Time.
- Automation & Factory Support specifics:
- Assist in designing and implementing new equipment and tools to improve manufacturing efficiencies, reduce ergonomic stress, and improve quality.
- Update, create and sustain Standard Work documents.
- Create and update drawings using Pro/Engineer or SolidWorks.
- Work as part of a project team in the development and/or implementation of new equipment and tools.
- Technical support for daily production issues related to manufacturing equipment.
- Assist in addressing, owning, and resolving quality-related issues for the manufacturing departments (ex CAPAs, and Audits).
- Consistently uses company concepts, policies, and procedures, familiar with and follows standard practices. -Executes experiments; participates in experimental design.
- Utilizes DOE where appropriate.
- Analyse data, evaluate results, form conclusions, and provide/implement process or document improvements.
- May perform other duties as required or assigned.
- Other duties as assigned by management
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the responsibilities. Formal Training/Education
Required: Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in a directly related discipline of biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, or chemical engineering or equivalent experience. ExperienceRequired
: 2 years of relevant experience working in a biochemistry or molecular biology laboratory setting.
Strong written and verbal communication skills. Demonstrated capability to interface effectively with customers, management, and lab staff. Preferred
: MS degree in directly related discipline + 2 years of related experience required; OR, PhD in directly related discipline and no experience required.
Experience with 5S and Lean techniques is preferred. Are equivalencies acceptable?
Yes. Equivalent combinations of education and/or experience are acceptable.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have the ability to manage priorities based on the needs of the manufacturing area with some guidance from the reporting manager and senior management.
- Knowledge of biomedical/biotechnology manufacturing
- Demonstrates potential for technical proficiency, engineering creativity, collaboration with others, and independent thought.
- Strong computing skills utilizing Microsoft Office tools such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Strong understanding of engineering principles and concepts
- Strong teamwork skills.
- Demonstrated troubleshooting and problem-solving skills including the use of designed experiments.
- Ability to meet project deadlines.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize with some guidance from management
- Automation & Factory Support specifics: -Experience with automated manufacturing equipment and automation technologies. -Experience with CAD programs such as Pro/Engineer and/or SolidWorks. -Experience in a regulated environment. Knowledge of FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR’s) is a plus. -Experience with Lean Systems.
- Quality Support specifics: -Experience in reagent or instrument manufacturing for a Medical Device or Pharmaceutical company. -Experience in a regulated environment. Knowledge of FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR’s).
As needed. Based on business needs